Bandipur, Nagarhole safaris to resume on 21 Feb: Karnataka Forest Minister
Khandre said residents will be appointed as ‘forest friends’ at each camp to monitor wildlife movement.
Salar News with Agencies
Mysuru, 20 Feb
Safari
operations, suspended after the human-tiger conflict, will resume with
conditions from 21 February, after Forest Minister Eshwar Khandre issued an
official directive on Friday.
Khandre
reviewed the situation with officials from Mysuru, Kodagu, and Chamarajanagar.
Safaris in Bandipur and Nagarahole Tiger Reserve will resume, but for shorter
durations.
“Only 50
per cent of the safari vehicles and staff in use before 7 November should be
deployed. Operations should be conducted mainly through buses, with minimal use
of campers and jeeps,” he said.
Safari
operations had been suspended for more than three months on 7 November after a
series of human-wildlife conflict, including repeated tiger attacks along the
forest fringes of Mysuru – Chamarajanagar districts.
A 100-km
stretch along the Bandipur boundary has been identified as highly sensitive,
with 25 camps to be set up at 5km intervals, the minister’s office stated.
“Residents will be appointed as ‘forest friends’ at each camp to monitor wildlife
movement,” Khandre said.
Khandre also directed the officials to spend 35 percent of revenue generated by Safaris for the welfare of local tribes' children, their education in forest fringe villages.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




